Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The One in the Middle is the Green Kangaroo By Judy Blume


The One in the Middle is the Green Kangaroo
by Judy Blume

I grew up on and always had a love for Judy Blume books, as I know many have. I don't ever remember reading this one, however, so I thought it would be a fun one to pick. The basic storyline is about little Freddy Dissel. He is the middle child with one older brother and one younger sister. It seems that he cannot find a place to fit in - he is either too young or too old. Until one day, his school is casting parts for an upcoming play and Freddy ends up with a very special part. This is Freddy's chance to shine and show everyone that he is more than just "in the middle".
This was a cute story, I thought. The illustrations are in black and white and I found it particularly intriguing that Freddy is always shaded in a bit more - making him stand out in the pictures. Perhaps this is the author's way to bring forth the fact that Freddy really does stand out and is more than just the middle sibling. I would definitely recommend this to the younger reader - it has both humor and a bit of a lesson to learn.
ages 4 - 8
*39 pages*

0 comments: